Running shoes woes…
My first foray into running was in 1992 and our Regional Manager in Cebu was kind of a running addict, that is, all conversations always points to that direction. In fact, with all due respect to our Ultramarathoners, he was one of 2 executives from our company (the other was our former GM ) who finished the Baguio-Manila megathon as they called it then in 5 days and was featured in a sports magazine way back in 1993 would you believe? I still have that commemorative shirt with me till now but I didn’t realize that I’ll be able to finish an Ultramarathon this year, the BDM 102. When he first invited me to run one sunday ( I was still a rookie then so I don’t have much choice do I?), he noticed I was wearing a Nike Hi Cut (he he) and since he’s also a photography buff, took my picture and inscribed a note “Keep on running, your wife will love you more for it” which I still kept since 1992! Unfortunately, Typhoon Ondoy flooded all our pictures so even if I try to scan it, the picture quality won’t be that good if I post it.
Since I started running seriously in 2008, I’m not really sure where my problem really lies when it comes to my running shoes, is it the shoe type, style, or size? Ten years ago, I still remember just buying any running shoe with the right size then you’re ready to go but now, with gait analysis, and Stability, Motion Control, and Neutral types coming to the fore, I still cannnot find the perfect shoe that I can stay with for the next two years. It seems like looking for the holy grail, I already wrote about my woes in one of my posts but I’m not about to give up, as long as I’m still fit to run, the crusade continues. I’ve tried almost all brands of shoes and I’m not really good in reviewing shoes but I’ll try my best to remember some of them and how I felt whenever I used it, here goes;
Circa – 1991 – 2007
1. Nike – my first real running shoes – okay with me
2. Reebok – So so.
3. Avia – one of the best I’ve had, I actually ran faster using it, probably got a good fit
4. Brooks – slightly okay
5. Saucony – next to Avia, one of my favorites also
Circa 2008 -present
1. New Balance 903 – I bought two, a size 9 and 10 to check which fits better, I used this during my first full mary at SCM Singapore.
2. Adidas Supernova – didn’t really connect with me so I was only able to use it 3 times and gave it away. I always experience leg pains during those runs but not with another shoe on the next day.
4. Mizuno Wave Inspire 5 – the cushioning is not that good, it was quite hard and the pain in my metatarsals continued although I used it in BDM in the first 40K
5. Asics 1150 – this is one of my favorites now, after the first 40K with Mizuno during BDM with metatarsal problems which bothered me no end, I changed with this shoe and the pain was instantly gone probably because of the good fit with me. I used this during my first duathlon and I didn’t have to change shoes at the bike transition, that’s how good the feeling was.
6. Nike Structure Triax 12 – same with the Asics 1150, I don’t experience pain either in the sole or metatarsal so I already used it for half -mary’s and during training.
So there you are, the last 3 are what I’m using at present. I’m also posting much delayed pictures of some of my runs here and abroad (I’m too lazy to upload) ..
Entry filed under: Uncategorized.